Wednesday, November 6, 2013

The Almighty Should

First, let's get this out of the way. This is post number one hundred. Whoopty shit. Let the rejoicing commence.

Now, on to business.

I was recently asked by my therapist what I want. I answered the question with some bullshit about wanting to be happy or something. But before I left, he asked me to think about it. It seems he wasn't satisfied with my answer. And as it turns out, neither am I. Because saying I want to be happy is a cop out answer. It doesn't say anything. Of course I want to be happy. Who doesn't? But happiness is a result, not a goal. You don't just "get" happiness. Happiness happens when your needs and desires are fulfilled. So the answer to what I want is not just "to be happy," but to be fulfilled. All of you probably already knew this (why didn't you tell me, jerks), but I am just now realizing it. Or rather, it is just now being cognitively processed.

What do I want?

A lot of my life has been spent doing what I "should" do. ...After several tries at this sentence, it boils down to this; I have a hard time thinking of any decision I have ever made that wasn't based on some kind of "should." These "shoulds" superseded thought on my own part. I never thought about whether I agreed with what I was doing. I never thought about what I really wanted. I never thought about what goals I wanted to pursue. That isn't to say that that I would have made different decisions. Hell, I have no idea what I would have done. I may have done everything exactly the same. But the constant guidance by The Almighty Should has landed me in a place where I don't feel like I have ever been in control of my life. And at the end of the day, that is what I want.

I want to feel like I am deciding my life.

I want to think through things. I want to consider my options. I want to find out that I truly believe passionately in something, and then I want to act on it. I recoil at the idea of accepting something just because I was told. Or having an opinion that was handed to me by The Almighty Should of whatever social context I happen to be in. I want to decide for myself. I want to captain my own vessel.

But you know what?

I'm secretly terrified. What if I start choosing my own destiny and find out that I am totally shit at directions? What if I start chasing after the things I want to do, only to fail miserably?

And so I am stuck. On one hand, there is oppression by The Almighty Should. On the other, The Pit of Failure.

I guess in the end, I'd rather die flying.

P.S. Please click the hyperlink. Stellar work of art.

3 comments:

  1. The good news is that if you make your own decision and you do what you want and it doesn't work....that's ok. The Pit of Failure isn't actually a pit. It's, at best, a big annoying puddle that soaks your pant leg. That is to say, it's an annoyance and a frustration, but definitely not something that actually halts your progress. Or, I guess I ought to say that it *shouldn't* halt your progress. (see what I did there?)f

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely something I need to think about. Am I tethered with shoulds? I think I'm in a part of my life where that isn't the ultimate driving force of my actions. I should go to bed early, but I'm not. I should eat well, and I am, but it's because I like the variety. I should be dating...and I will...I try... Perhaps it's a balance of doing the shoulds, wants, and musts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post, Dan...this is what life is all about. The greatest yet scariest thing in life is when we recognize that we are the ones in control--we make all the decisions for ourselves. That self responsibility is both liberating and frightening. However, I think the more you do live genuine to your heart's desires, the more sense it will all make. Like you said, it's better to die flying. As Viktor Frankl said: "The meaning of life is to give life meaning."

    ReplyDelete