Sunday, July 17, 2016

Writing Fight (vs Emily Steinbutt)

Everything is predictable at 5:37 in the morning. Nobody goes out at that hour unless they have to. I see the same people every morning. There's Marta, going to some job that requires those black "comfy" shoes that old people always wear. Jeff arrives at 5:36 without fail. One day he was late. I could tell everyone noticed. But when he showed up with only 30 seconds to spare, nobody said anything. They just relaxed a little, tension leaving their shoulders, and sank back into the routine. It has always fascinated me that I know all these people, they see each other every day, and not one of them knows another.

There's one woman, though...she grabs my attention. I see her most days, but there's no consistent schedule. Different times of day, different days of the week. She makes a point of isolating herself. She keeps her ear-buds in. She sits small, at the back, but with her head up. Confident, but avoiding eye contact. She will never talk to anyone, but I can tell she likes to be looked at. She never sits behind anything. And she is always showing some skin. Her clothes are nice, and she's well kept; but I've never seen her actually dressed up. Always casual. I wonder what she's feeling. Intentionally alone, but so intentionally appealing. Who is she hoping to draw in?

Only a few minutes to wonder, and she's gone. I hope she's smiling next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment