Monday, November 5, 2012

Epitaph

Have you seen V for Vendetta? It is, after all, November 5. I imagine most of you have seen the film. Think now on the character V. And if you haven't seen the movie, think instead of Frodo or Boromir. Or, if you are unfamiliar with them, think of Batman and his battle with Gotham. If you are unfortunate enough to be ignorant of all of these, think of Nikola Tesla; a man who gave his life to science.

What do these men share in common? They are all men who accomplished. Mankind, as a whole, loves stories about men of their caliber. We love the idea of these characters. For myself, I find the concept of characters like this so fascinating that I read their story whenever I find it. What is it about these men that grabs our interest? What is it about these characters that pulls us into their story and compels us to care about them? I do not know you, so I cannot speak for you. But I can speak for myself. And so I will.

These men, these characters and their lives, are defined in my head by the same qualities. These lives that I read about are lives of purpose. They are lives of accomplishment. And they aren't just accomplishments of convenience. The stories that grip me are the stories of characters who pursue their goals with unwavering determination. They are the stories characterized by ambition and drive. By goals. By vision.

These are men who have thought long and hard about life and about the world in which they live. These are men who color their existence with vibrant hues of passion. Right or wrong, these men have determined exactly where they are going. Right or wrong, these men care so deeply, and believe so strongly, that they are willing to sacrifice everything in pursuit of their goal.

These are the qualities that I find so compelling. And I find them compelling because they are everything that I am not. They are everything that I wish to be. Where they have drive, I am lost. Where they have passion, I am listless. Where they have vision, I am confused.

These men are wearing out their lives striving to build monuments to their ambition; seeking to shape the world to their vision.

I can't help but wonder...

...what will be written on my tombstone?

1 comment: