Saturday, March 28, 2009

Composition and its elements

So, I wrote this song yesterday. Originally, I began to write because I was accidentally watching tv and I heard, in the background of a commercial, a song with what I thought were the lyrics "pumpkins on fire." So I went into my room and started a song with the words "pumpkins on fire." It was fun and flirty (flirty?) but as I moved along in the process, I realized that the song also had an opinion. It did not want to be a silly nonsense song. As I kept writing, I realized that the song was actually about the way I viewed the dynamic of the relationship I have with one of my friends. So I went back and altered the beginning of it to be more appropriate. And by the time I finished the song I realized that it was actually about several of my friends.

The whole birthing of the song from my musical uterus was kind of a surprise to me. I did not expect it to come into existence, nor did I expect it to be of any quality once it had grown up. I guess it was a lot like my friend Whitney, that way...she was an accident baby..I think. Anyway, the point I am trying to make is that I really didn't have a whole lot to do with the song. It just sort of happened. Because of this, I am beginning to view music the same way I view humor. Let me begin by stating my view of humor:

Humor is out there, in the universe, just floating around. It is all around us, always, a lot like the force. Funny people, like jedi, are able to tap into this ever-present humor and draw it from ethereality into a form more enjoyable by the rest of humanity. People who aren't funny are trying to fabricate humor without tapping into the living, breathing, humor-force.
Music, it seems is the same way. Music is always around us, permeating everything, and musicians sometimes get lucky and tap some current of the force and a song comes out. That is why you hear musicians talk about how a song "doesn't want to be that way." Or "it felt like it needed to go this direction." They say these things because the song itself already existed. Musicians just happen to be the conduit through which it came to us mortals. That is how we can explain "crappy pop-music." It is music that is forced. Music that did not come to the musician, but music that is crafted from nothing more than human knowledge of intervals of sound wave frequencies.

What is the moral? Have faith. If you only believe in that which is good, and act accordingly, you will be guided to that which is best.

3 comments:

  1. I have to say, you have a very distinctive writing style. I kind of mostly agree with you about the music force thing. I think most all modes of expression have something like that. I hate to tell you that you're not the first person to come up with this theory though. The ancient Greeks called it Muses though, since Obi Wan hadn't yet introduced them to the force. But I don't entirely agree that if you don't have the force you are necessarily bound to produce crap. It just might not be as good as it could be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like the guilty are taking the truth to be hard soloreader18.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to hear this song. I like the music-force. I like the blog. Good times.

    ReplyDelete