Monday, April 27, 2009

Arbitrary Batman

I moved. I no longer live where I once lived. It is an odd sensation, moving. I have come away with this experience with the reaffirmed thought that what people crave most is stability. I once read a story by Orson Scott Card. In this story, he depicted a world where the government had grown too powerful. Where corruption was the political system. Where the masses were downtrodden and abused. Why would the people put up with this horrible system of governance? Because what people crave most is for tomorrow to be much like today. Think about it. We often praise those who's lives appear most stable, and criticize those who are more transient. What is stability, if not the monotony of daily similarities? And yet, these times when we are forced from the comfort of routine are the times when we are given the most opportunity. We are presented with the choice of changing with our situation, or stubbornly maintaining our same-ness. Take moving, for example. I have moved out of my apartment of 2 years. In this apartment I have made many friends; I have established a set of habits that involve the people who have been consistently around me. I had a set of behavioral patterns that accompanied these habits. All of these were based in and built upon my location. With that changed, I have two choices. I can choose to stagnate, and remain the same, but in a new dwelling. Or I can use this sudden jolt from the norm to reinvent myself. To reset my course and renew my efforts towards those aspects of myself that I desire to improve. I do not deny that I am disconcerted by the change. But despite this, I choose to reinvent myself, at least on a minor level. And perhaps this will leak upwards into the grander scheme of me, causing me to grow greatly in many directions.
Here's to hoping

dan

No comments:

Post a Comment