Friday, April 17, 2009

What so proudly we held...through the twilights last gleaming...

"Hey, Dan. Why are you writing a blog post today?"

"What? I need a reason? I dunno...just felt like typing a bit."

So, I just finished an evening of Bowling and Denny's. I capitalized Bowling so that I could have two words in caps...Anyway, I have this to say about bowling. People are good. You know how normally my inner asshole gets the better of me and I dislike people and want to hit them? Well, I have been fighting that lately to good result. Tonight being an example. For reasons probably in some way related to my punk-rock background, I dislike people who are trendy. We bowled next to a bunch of trendy dudes tonight, who I specifically tried not to dislike (double negatives...gotta love em...). Turns out, they were really cool dudes. Even Matt liked them. I'm not sure where I am going with this, so let me move on...


At Denny's with Matt and Jon we got onto the topic of the crazy experiences that war vets have. Allow me to recount one example:

Audie Murphy is one of the U.S.A's most decorated war heroes. The man had more amazing experiences that I can even make up. He once was standing in a group of soldiers when an artillery shell landed withing just one or two inches of his foot. Audie is still here. The shell went off and the cone of explosion vaporized the other soldiers. He was standing so close to it, that he managed to be in the center of the cone, and all that happened was his boot got turned into air. His foot was fine. He was fine. I dare you to tell me that wasn't a miracle.

Our soldiers have so many stories. I have heard a number (quite a large number) of stories about experiences that make me toes curl. Most of us never have to deal with those things. Most of us couldn't. Most of us also forget that our soldiers have gone through hell, so we don't have to. How can we forget that? How can we forget what they have done for us and the rest of the world? Regardless of whether or not the war itself is justifiable, there is a war going on. And our soldiers are fighting and dying and killing, so the rest of us don't have to. We owe them. Feel free to protest the war. But never take out your righteous indignation on one of our soldiers. You have no right to do that. You may not respect our leaders, but you owe your respect to our country and its protectors.

My head feels like it is thinking, and I have put some of it to paper. (Hehe...paper...its all digital, dingo) I feel better, having done that, and now I bid you all adieu...or however you spell the damn french word...silly french...

2 comments:

  1. I thought you weren't going to Denny's? i might have come if I'd known you were going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I said, as you got into your car "You coming to Denny's with us?" and you said. No.

    ReplyDelete