Sunday, September 27, 2009

No, That's my spleen...

If I were to look inside you, what would I find? And don't tell me I'd find your colon, because I wouldn't. I don't even know what it looks like. What I mean to say is, if I were able to see your motivations, what would I see? If I could see what you really, truly wanted, what would it be? I think, sometimes, we trick ourselves into believing that we want something just because we know it is the good thing to want. Or we tell ourselves that we are doing things for the most noble of reasons. Take church attendance for example. What do you really want from church? If you look deep inside yourself, and strip away all the protective layers, what would we find as your motivation for attending church? My motivations are these: mostly, because I told God I would go every Sunday if I could, but additional factors are role expectations, social factors and habit. These motivations are sufficient to get me up and off to church every Sunday, but do I really want to go? Having experienced Sundays without having the opportunity to attend, I can safely say that yes, I do want to go.

But lets get away from religious matters. What keeps us college students in school? Why are we here, paying to have the chance to spend every waking hour pursuing a degree? Why do some people choose to marry, and some not? Why do we participate in our various pastimes? I feel like it is important to ask these questions so that we may better understand ourselves. As Socrates said, "And unexamined life is not worth living." But why should we examine our lives? If we examine our lives, we will notice that we neglect certain aspects of life more than others. If we look closely, we will see our imbalances. Balance is so important. If we can't maintain balance in our lives, one force or another will push us over the proverbial edge.

Those are my thoughts for the day...

1 comment:

  1. I think what scares me most is that I don't know what I want. I've asked myself the question, if there were no expectations and no taboos, what would I want? I don't really know. I guess I don't really know myself

    ReplyDelete