Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Beauty vs Me

Attractive women have power. You may not agree with me. If you're an attractive woman (you probably don't think you are, even if it's true), you may not agree with me. But it is true. I can attest to that fact. Science has attested to that fact. Just to be sure, I spent the last hour and a half researching the topic in various scientific journals. And the fact exists that beautiful people have it good. And that's okay. Its a fact of life and there's no point in whining about it. What bothers me is that I don't seem to have any control. Even though I am aware of it, and watching for it, and guarding against it, pretty girls almost always get their pretty-treatment from me. Let me cite an example:

Yesterday I went to first day of classes for Summer term at BYU. As is common for this campus, all of my classes contain varying quantities of attractive women. Actually, let me rephrase. Because I attend BYU, nigh all the females in my classes are attractive in varied levels and degrees. And here is where things become irksome. It is a point of pride in my life that I accept people for who they are and treat them as their actions and behaviors warrant, regardless of external factors. No fewer than twice I caught myself giving the more attractive female variants preferential treatment. And that is simply infuriating. Not that I treated them in this manner, rather that I had no power over the differential in their treatment versus the treatment of more garden variety girls.

It's not that I treat attractive girls any better than I treat anyone else. The difference in my behavior is subtle and hard to explain. I just don't like the fact that pretty people are unintentionally coercing the world around them at all times. None of us even stand a chance. The beautiful people will get what they get (usually better than average) whether we want them to or not.



Say what you will about my theory. But I guarantee life treats her (above) better than it treats me (below).



Okay, that is actually a pretty sexy picture. Of me. Anyway....

While most of my posts have some sort of moral or post at the end, this one does not. I simply wanted to point this out. I would also like to point out that BYU has an inordinate amount of beautiful women. I think they out number the uglies about 4-1. Now that I've put this out there, do what you want with it.

5 comments:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed your writing on that post. and i have also studied how this is a true fact; ugly students get treated worse in school than cute ones. so it's interesting. as is your describing ugly girls as the "garden variety". You are an interesting guy.
    (loose the stache and it might be sexy)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Garden variety girls are the ones who aren't breathtaking. The kind of girls that make up most of the girl population. I reserve the term uglies to refer to uglies, and I use it exclusively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm torn on this one. On the one hand I feel the same frustration as you. I see this same thing constantly every day at work, people getting preferential treatment because something about them appeals to us. But on the other hand...I don't know if I can whole-heartedly resent it. You say there isn't anything you can do to control this element of your life, but that is completely untrue. Everyone is capable of maximizing the attractiveness of their person through a host of different means. Clothing, grooming, demeanor, these are just a few elements. Even if you don't think you've been particularly physically blessed, you can still make the best of what you have. This system of favoring the attractive evolved for a reason.
    It's funny, I'm reading this book on genetics right now and I read (literally a few hours ago) a chapter that I think really applies to this idea. I could go into detail, but I don't want to bore you. But maybe I'll write my own blog post about it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't mean my attractiveness. I mean I can't help the way I react to pretty people. They have control over me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment comes very belatedly to this conversation, but don't lose the stache! It adds so much character to the above expression and makes the whole ensemble perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete