Friday, July 9, 2010

SufjanWineFrapp


Much of music today is the same. It is remarkably hard to come up with a song that won't cause someone to say, "Hey...that sounds a lot like Martyr Killer." (I made that band up, I think. Although metal-heads everywhere are already forming that band). For example, this guy sounds pretty much exactly like this guy. But I have decided that this is okay. If you like it from one source, why wouldn't you enjoy it from another source?

I have come across music snobs on a fairly regular basis. In fact, most of my life I was a music snob. In fact, the angriest I have ever been was the first time I heard this song. Since that moment I have come to grips with my music snobbery. I have learned to enjoy slow by Kylie Minogue (forgive the video) and also enjoy Golfrapp without feeling like its just a cheap Kylie frap-off. (I am so dang funny).

This whole round of thoughts comes from a couple conversations with my roomie Steven. This week I had the chance to record with The Brocks, a band here in Provo. It was quite a bit of fun, and the band is actually really good. I quite like them. But when I showed Steven, all he could say was, "It sounds like Dr Dog." It irritated me when he said it, although I didn't know why at the time. I now realize why that bugs me. When people are totally focused on what something sounds like, instead of what they are listening to, they are totally disregarding the effort the musicians put into their music. I feel like more concern should be given to listening to a song or artist for their own good qualities. Enjoy what you're listening to, not what you could listen to. That is my rant. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Oh but Danbeigle, you forgot parts of said occurrence. I did say more. I said they (The Brocks) sound good and, hey, if you like them, you might like these guys too (Dr Dog). I recall when you were invited to record with this The Brocks of Provo they told you, "we SOUND LIKE Beirut". They wanted to give you a frame of reference. So, "sounding like" suggestions are not always given in ignorance or disregard. Take for example one of your favorite music resources, Pandora. They are based on the notion that, "hey, if you like this, you might also like this, they sound similar", interrupted of course with the ever-so frequent McDonalds pushy ads and a legaly limited number of skips when you decide, no, I don't like this, even though you, Pandora, think it sounds like this guy. And if you think I disregarded this "The Brocks" maybe I still want to listen to them more. Speaking of disregarding, did I not just learn that you disregarded Bob Dylan for twenty six years until just a couple weeks ago in Idaho?!

    In defense, that is my rant.
    - STEVEN

    ps - speaking of Idaho - Built to Spill. Modest Mouse and Deathcab for Cutie, favorites from your beloved rainy Northwest, in their early days, both sounded VERY MUCH like their greatest influence, Built to Spill. That was okay. It was good. But both bands really became great when they evolved into something of their own sound. It's okay ,and probably impossible not to, be influenced by great artists when making art (music, art, etc). But to become a great artist yourself you must also reach from within. Become a window, not a mirror.

    ReplyDelete