Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Coffee, Rain, and You

This is a chai latte. Although not all chai lattes are blessed with antennae like this one, they are almost all delicious. Why am I making you look at this tasty dactyl? Because it is a starting point for my thought.

The other day I was having a conversation with somebody (Russell maybe?) and were discussing coffee shops and the people who frequent them. I mentioned that I happen to enjoy sitting around a coffee shop, sipping a chai and nibbling a muffin while I read a book or chat with friends. And it occurred to me that most people from Portland enjoy this pastime. In fact, most people from the Pacific Northwest enjoy this pastime. What is it about living on the rainy west coast that makes you a hipster? And are all coffee shop junkies hipsters? I would like to think that I am not a hipster, just a regular fellow.

So, what do you think? Did living in Portland make me this way? Or did I live in Portland due to a predisposition to sit in coffee shops?

1 comment:

  1. Dan! How are you?? I haven't talked to you in forever, but I was intrigued by your post! I like coffee shops for the same reason you do. I live in the Portland area and I am so not a hipster... But I do think you are right about the rain. It makes us want to sit inside and get all comfy and cozy!
    Good talking to ya! I like to read all your facebook posts. You crack me up.
    Jaycee

    ReplyDelete