Friday, August 6, 2010

Open-Faced Sandwhich


We live in a society that seems to be full of people who are unwilling to be vulnerable, who are too easily offended and who are horrified that they might give reason for others to feel offended. While none of these qualities are evil of themselves, they have become so prevalent in the world in which I live, that they are almost crippling. Nobody can say or do anything because somebody else might get offended and make a big stink about it. This attitude is so common that people are applying it to situations where it doesn't need to be applied. And I have decided to fight this trend.

I was talking with my friend Camille the other day. She is quite an amazing individual. She also believes in being honest and speaking what she feels. There is no reason to be subtle about something, dropping hints at what you want and hoping someone else catches your hints and is willing to act on them. (although, acting is dangerous. It might offend...) This problem seems especially plague Provo's dating world. Nobody is ever willing to actually tell another person they are interested. And so nobody ever gets anyone they want. And they all complain about it, myself included. But no longer!! I am going to begin to tell people what I want. Whether I want to date a girl, go to Taco Bell, or dance swing even though I'm awful, I am going to just come out and say it.

This same idea applies to making friends. If I want to be friends with a person, I am going to invite him/her to activities with me. I will proactively obtain said person's phone number and I will use it without chagrin.

By the same token, I sincerely hope that nobody is offended by this. I really do like people, and I want you all to be happy. However, in the interest of improving the world around me, I am going to buck this unfortunate social trend. Wish me luck!!

2 comments: