Monday, June 22, 2009

Being alone while talking to the world

That's what I love about blogging. I get to express myself to the entire world, and no one ever reads it. There is no more perfect way to clear your thoughts.

But, moving on....







I know them. I went to high school with Kimber (the girl. And I didn't really go to high school with her. But we had some classes together). I worked with Levi after high school at the trailer factory in La Grande. I don't think either of them ever left the valley they grew up in. They just kind of stayed there...and now they seem to be some form of married with a baby. In fact, if you think about it, most of the people who stayed around in La Grande ended up married pretty quickly. They all have some sort of job and life and......

...then there's me. I left the valley the day I graduated high school. Minus a few short months before my mission, I have spent my life after high school in metropolitan areas. I am attending a large university. I am surrounded by a 38,000 people my age. I often revel in the fact that I can go anywhere in the city of Provo and find a pretty girl. And yet, my life is in shambles compared to them. Watch. I'll prove it:

La Grandians

Married
Employed
Children
Near family
College degree (at least I think Kimber does)
Dan
Hasn't been on a date in ages
Not
None
8 hours away
Failing out of college

See? I think most of these comparisons are exclusive to me though. If we were to compare to the other people who I know that started in the valley with the rest of us, the only one that really seems to hold true across the board is the married/unmarried one. Those who stay in the small town get married (on average) sooner than those of us who leave. Here is my theory about that.

In a small town, there aren't a lot of people. That's what makes it small. So, in these small towns people know they don't have a lot of options for getting hitched. So they don't look that hard. All this not looking leads to what I call, "ending up" together. They don't plan it. It just happens. After a little time, people just end up together, out of lack of options and boredom with dating. In a place like Provo, where I am surrounded by beautiful girls and boys, this does not happen. People always move on to the next one. Or in my case, just stay out of the game because the math says that the girl you are asking out won't marry you. So....which is better? Staying in the small town? Living the city life? You can't answer that question just based on this one dilemma, but I thought I'd bring it up. That being said, I am off to build a super hero.

2 comments:

  1. People always want (sort of, sometimes) what they don't have. While you have independence and endless options, the La Grandians are stable, but absolutely committed to being parents and workers for the rest of their lives. That said, it's hard to pronounce one better than the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. whew. that was a lot to unload on your digital readership. i, being a EOer myself, having gone to the same big school, leaving there unmarried and jobless, understand your plight. though with the right attitude, anything can sound better. ask obama. love you. you, dan. not obama.

    ReplyDelete